Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Chromes. Let me show you them...


For the past few weeks, I've been using my Ubuntu PC as my predominant computer due to Lil' Jim still being in the shop (we miss you, man), so without the luxury of
Windows Live Writer for writing my blog posts, I've been forced to use the in-house writer built into Blogger, but I digress.

The true nature of this post is to impart upon my fellow geeks and people who come here accidentally that Google Chrome is the bestest thing in the history of forever. Now, to some of you, you may think of this as some sort of metaphorical poke with a stick. Some of you may be thinking "But James! You cruel, un-moustachioed man! Chrome isn't available on Mac and Linux yet, stop torturing me!"

Well, you're right, Chrome is indeed not avai- Oh hey! Look at that!

That, dear reader, is Google Chrome running on Ubuntu 8.04.

Granted it's a dev build and not the final release, it's still Grease Lightning, no, it's Greased Grease Lightning. That's even faster.

I'm not kidding when I say that Chrome is fast on Linux, it's the fastest browser that I've ever used on any Operating System ever. However, it's not the final release for a reason, it's still not done. According to the splash page you see when you first open the brower, the following features have not been implemented yet:

  • Plugins, including Flash (so no YouTube, Hulu, etc.)
  • Printing
  • Complex text
  • Complex tab dragging
  • Gears support
Looking at the first bullet, you can probably figure out why Chrome can be so fast, there's no plugins. That's not to say that it isn't still fast with the inclusion of plugins, it's just alot faster without.

When I first downloaded Chrome, I spent the first few minutes attempting to make it crash. I only found one way to do it, and that was to exploit the lack of Complex tab dragging. This is where you drag a tab out of the browser window to form a new window out of the tab. It's not too bad until you try to drag the new window back into the old one again.

At least that was a problem until the alpha build was updated. With the release of the new Dev build a few days ago, the complex tab dragging seems to be working, soooo I don't really know why that's still on the splash page.

Now I'm stumped. This build is supposedly a minefield, yet I can't crash it, but maybe you can! Just visit the following link to download the dev build of Chrome for Mac and Linux (32-bit, 64-bit). Have fun.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment