Friday, July 24, 2009

Harry Potter and Lets Just Get Rid of the Best Part of the Book.

My name is Anthony Doom.

I am not the Green Lantern of space sector 2814 (I heard Ryan Reynolds is).

That would be sweet though...

I saw Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince.

This is my review.

It will have spoilers.

I believe that when you create a piece of art based on another piece of art you are allowed to change things to allow a proper conversion, maybe a different take on a situation, unless the original piece of art gave you something that would have been one of the best things this summer. I am of course referring to the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, I'm getting this out of the way, this part is not really a review but rant. O.K. the ending of the book before Dumbledore is killed, a call to arms is issued by Hermione to D.A. (Dumbledore's Army) to fight against the Death Eaters, but in the movie, the Death Eaters just walked to the astronomy tower unopposed. So instead of a battle between a bunch of wizards we get nothing, just Dumbldore's death. So instead of a battle of epic proportions we get... nothing. Well, we get a two part movie next year.

O.K., time to put of my film student hat on (a little loose, must have lost weight, and yes, it is a fedora, and if it wasn't summer I would be wearing my film student blazer as i write this, but I'm getting off topic). This film was shot wonderfully, the first battle between Harry and Ginny with Beatrix is shot wonderfully. Nice jump cuts and fast panning creates a fast and intense battle, almost feeling like you're there. This film runs for two hours and forty min but it does not feel that long, I know some of the movies feel like you spend a year watching it, but not this one, it seemed to go by fast, maybe a little too fast. One thing the books did right was the fact that with each one it is darker than the one that came before it, keeping with the age of the reader as they were released, and the films seem to be doing the same and with a different director, it can be hard to do sometimes but this series seem to have stayed the course and is doing just fine by it. The film uses light well, but I miss the music cues from the first three, but good ol' John Williams will be back in seven and eight. Did I forget to mention that John Williams also did the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the Superman series as well? So ya, the man is a movie music legend (Oh, and he is doing the Green Lantern film as well as The Adventures of Tin Tin film which will feature Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as Thomson and Thomson, so ya). I really enjoyed this film minus the hate from not including the big wizard battle, and that is a big achievement considering that I wanted to see (500) Days of Summer but alas, the movie theater did not have it there because half the screens were Harry Potter and it does not normally have smaller films anyway (i really wish they had Moon but nooooo that would be to sweet.)

Did I mention that there will be a Green Lantern film, yes staring Ryan Reynolds, I don't know about him for Hal Jordon but I will role with it. Oh and people complaining about it not beening John Stewart (The African American one) as the main character, its not because he is African American its because he is a bad character, yes if you read the comics you would see that he is the 2nd worst of the human Green Lanterns it goes like this Hal Jordon, Kyle Rayner, Alan Scott, John Stewart, then Guy Gardener. you only like him because either he is African American or you watched Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, in which his personality is more like Hal Jordon, so take that!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment