Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Then one fine mornin' she puts on a New York station. You know her life was saved by Rock 'n' Roll." - The Velvet Underground, "Rock And Roll"

Well, one fine morning about twenty days back I wrote an article about my favorite things, in the Television section I forgot one show, which in reality is probably my favorite show out of them all, Supernatural. This show airs Thursdays at 9pm on the CW (well not right now, but it will soon). If you do not know what this show is, well, I honestly do feel bad for you.

Right, the show is about two brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester (yes, their last name is taken from the fire-arm), who in the shortest description possible take on the evils of the supernatural world. They take on Ghosts, Vampires, Demons, Tricksters, Wendigos and anything else that goes bump in the night. There is one thing that needs to be said about this show, the writers take from a lot of myths and religions, for instance, the Demons do work for Lucifer but at the same time they fight the Wedingos from Native American myths, and also they portray Angels as not the nicest of the things they meet, so if you find the kind of thing offensive then this is not the show for you.

By now you must be wondering why I chose that quote as my title, well first of all I set up my desktop 2 weeks ago (and installed Windows 7 from a gamers stand point later maybe Friday along with my new Zune) and I started playing Civilization 4 again (along with Galactic Civilizations 2, Battlefront 2, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 3) and well, I realized its one of my favorite quotes from the game (although pretty much everything is said by Spock so its all pretty rad). Second, it sums up the show nicely (so does Carry on, my Wayward Son) as these kids were raised by their father to take down the Supernatural, and their father listened to what is considered today as classic rock (who's parents didn't?) and it carries on to the shows, so in away whenever they save someones life, rock and roll saved their life.

Now, one of the big points of the show is it's like a forty minute Horror movie every week, not only in the fact that they have to fight all the stuff Horror movies are made of, but the way it is shot is like a movie, with wide shots, angles, the licensed music, music cues, really its not like most other TV shows, which are shot as TV shows, this show is shot as a movie and the acting is not that bad from the main cast, but sometimes the guests can be a little wooden (but what horror movie would be complete without bad acting?). One final point about the show is the humor, all I am going to say about the humor is this, in one episode a man shoots a sheriff when he is possessed, when he gets an exorcism performed on him and returns to normal he says remorsefully: "I shot the Sheriff," in which Dean replies after trying to hold it in "But you did not shoot the deputy."

Well I really can't believe that I missed this show on my favorite TV show list as it really is my favorite. Well I hoped you like my review and please check this show out. Season five starts on the tenth of September, a day before my birthday. As I said, watch from my review of the Windows 7 Release Candidate, the Zune and the Zune player.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment