Thursday, July 9, 2009

Doom's 5 top fives

Well this is overdue, I'm Anthony Doom. I was going to write something for two Fridays ago, then last Friday, and well, finally this is it, my introduction to this blog and hopefully one of the many future contributors. First, let me say I'm a student a Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, Computer Science Major (with a film studies minor). Most importantly right now, I have no Internet, that is right, a computer science major with no Internet at his house. Until September I have to come to the school to use the Internet so I might not be able to post as often as I would like, but I will try as hard as I can to update every Friday, with a multitude of videos and humor, mostly tech related but also Pop-culture related as well. So to introduce my self I have decided to do 5 top five lists so you can judge my opinions compared to yours so you can decide how much salt to add to my views. Well, lets get started and in no particular order (the number 5 slot for each will be reserved for my favorite current item on the list I am watching/listening to/surfing, not all time favorite, I guess that would be a particular).


Doom's top 5 favorite Television shows
1. House M.D. -Fox
Well here it is, my first favorite TV show, House. If you do not know what House is, well, where have you been (have you been in a Coma?) House is about Doctor Gregory House, he is a drug addict, cocky, an atheist and based on the fictional Sherlock Holmes, who always figures out the current episodes illness in a manor that is best described as a brain wave, but the real meat of the show is the humor which is mainly about House's overblown ego, which is done by the great Hugh Laurie, and the drama created by House's drug addiction and love for a certain person who I will not mention.

Here is a trailer for season 3 there are some spoilers but still shows some of the basic humor of the show.


2. Stargate (Well, both of them I guess)-Showtime and Sci-fi
Some people do not like science fiction show or movies. They will not like my list of shows or movies then, if you are one such person its probably best to skip ahead (or hey, try watching anyone of these shows, you might like them). This is a great science fiction show, it has an episodic format of endless possibilities but also with the ability to have long season stretching arcs, this is done by having the Stargate. The Stargate is a device that allows one to travel to another Stargate by creating a wormhole that connects them. There are two shows, both finished in their runs but a third is in development. The first of the two shows was the original, Stargate SG-1, this show followed Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson), a tough as nails soldier that has a sense of humor, the everyman that leads a team into the world of science fiction stories (this is where much of his humor comes from). Second (and my favorite character in the original), is Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) the resident archeology nerd, I almost became an archaeologist because of this character, he grows from a weakling nerd who could hardly hold his own in a fire-fight to becoming one of the strongest characters. Oh and he died, a lot. Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping), a scientist who isn't very funny in the beginning, just their to break down gender roles like one episode where the inhabitants of a planet kid-nap her so they can sell her to another clan to make peace, which leads to a new leader being chosen and the gender roles are equalized. The last character I will go through for this show is Teal'c(Christopher Judge), he is the resident alien (oh, I forgot to mention that the "aliens" are in fact humans taken from Earth that other aliens placed throughout the galaxy, and there are snake-like aliens, that take people over and masquerade as Gods), a super solider that realizes his Gods are fake and wants to help his people by jumping sides. These people go from planet to planet fighting the Goa'uld, an evil race of snake-like aliens that burrow into the skulls of people and take them over and using their advanced technology and pretending to be the Egyptian, Asian, and other Gods to make the people worship them.

Here is a small selection of the many funny moment in SG-1

I will review Atlantis at another date.

3. Umm just give me a second..... right, Top Gear-BBC

Top Gear is a car review program from England, it stars Jeremy Clarkson, Richard "Hamster" Hammond and James "Captain Slow" May. It's unconventional, rude, crude, politically incorrect and well, I will let video speak for me (These guys work blue folks, don't watch if that offends).









4. Firefly-Fox (ONE MORE TIME!)
This is the little show that could...not. This was created by Josh Whedon (Buffy, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog) about a ragtag group of space cowboy smugglers that go from one dangerous situation to another, with nothing ever working out for them but they still go on, they still have hope. I cannot find an appropriate video that represents the show.

5. Kings- NBC

This is the story of King David's rise to power set in the modern day about a fictional country called Gilboa and their tensions with the country and their rivals Gath, but the weak acting of David and some of the other members of the court is all washed away with the acting of King Silas (Ian McShane, of Deadwood fame) that is why it is my favorite current show.

Recap of episode one


Doom's top 5 favorite Podcasts
1. iFanboy Pick of the Week Podcast

What happens three liberal New Yorkers get together and talk about Comics? Hilarity ensues. These three podcasters Josh Flanagan , Conor Kilpatrick , and Ron Richards (Richards!)
talk about what they love and hate about Comic Books.
Make sure you listen to the end where they talk about G.I. Joe its the greatest part of this episode.
07.05.2009 - Episode #191- Batman and Robin #2

2. This Week in Tech

Leo Laport gets together with other tech personalities and talk about... you guessed it, cakes. No, wait! Tech, I meant tech.
this WEEK in TECH

3. Diggnation


Two guys getting drunk on a couch and talk about news, they are quite witty. Hosted by Revision3


Ok, yeah... The last two are just Revision 3
Revision3


Doom's top 5 favorite Songs

For this I'm just going to place a video for each song so please listen to them










Doom's top 5 favorite Movies
1. Elizabethtown

This is a weird choice for me, I don't generally like these kind of movies, but it has a nice selection of music, a nice story about a man coming to terms with the death of his father, falling in love with a women and about killing himself. It's a pretty story and soulful as some people would describe.

It stars Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst



2. Blade Runner
Riddly Scott's classic Neo-noir masterpiece staring Harrison Ford as Rick Deccard a "Blade Runner" a man who hunts down Replicants, humanoid robots that are illegal on earth.



3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

My favorite of all the Trek movies, an analogy for the tearing down of the Berlin wall and the old men who have had the disdain for the enemy that they had for their hole life, so in this film, Kirk and the Klingons try for peace.



4. Hot Fuzz
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are cops in a small town and uncover a plot so secret that I would be killed if I revealed it here. Hilarity Ensues.



5. Vicky Christina Barcelona
Two women go on vacation to Barcelona, one has second thoughts about marrying her husband the other has a three-way relationship with an artist and his ex-wife. This beautiful story of love and what you want out of life stars Scarlet Johanson and Penélope Cruz (Who got an Oscar from this role)




Doom's top 5 favorite Websites
1. Digg

www.digg.com is a social news website where you get to vote on your favorite stories.

2. ifanboy

www.ifanboy.com is a site where you can make your pull list of comics, read articles and listen to a podcast by the podcasters mentioned above.

3. Cracked.com

www.cracked.com Yes the website with the lists, the main attraction to the site (for me, at least) is SWAIM's videos.

4. Io9
www.io9.com A social blog about science fiction, television shows movies, what not.

5. Wikipedia
www.wikipedia.org, yes, I know this is a cop-out about my current favorite sites but it is.

Well thats it. Sorry about any spelling and grammar mistakes, I am looking forward to writing more articles so watch out for them and if you think that there is any thing I should check out that you think I would like and should check out you can email me at punisher1135@gmail.com. Thanks.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post updates Tony and James. I only wish www.philipshaw.ca had made the cut. Ya gotta give old guys who were pioneers in the computer industry credit for hanging in there thru the years. Keep up the good work, I'll give you guys a big plug one of these days

    ReplyDelete