Monday, June 8, 2009

To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before (Or Wants To Go)...

Except for the people who saw it in the last two weeks or so before myself.

I am of course talking about the new Star Trek movie, I saw it last night. This is not a review of the film as I intended originally. I want to rant about the Theatre that I went to in order to see the film instead.

Normally, I’d go to Famous Players in Sarnia, considering that it’s practically next door to the Dormitories at my College, but since it’s summer I went to the Local Theatre in Chatham, the "Cinema 6." I hadn’t been in there since seeing the fifth Harry Potter movie so I wasn’t really familiar with the Theatre anymore.

When my family and I pulled up to the Theatre we all noticed that Star Trek was not on the Marquee. Instead, there was X-men in it’s place. I had checked the show times online before we came so it immediately became obvious that somebody wasn’t doing their job. We went in and learned that X-men was sharing one of the screens with Star Trek, it just looked like Star Trek wasn't playing anymore, nice job. We waited in the Lobby for about five minutes because nobody was at the ticket counter, apparently they wouldn’t sell the tickets until the popcorn had been popped… what? I don’t even know.

About two minutes into the wait, five kids around eleven or so came into the theatre, five loud kids. First off, they were marvelled at the ear-shattering squeak the door made when it was closing, so they proceeded to open it and close it maybe three more times. Then they started to punch the glass because according to one of them, he could “punch super strong.”

Finally, the ticket counter opens, and we buy our tickets. On the chart above the register, it says that Star Trek is showing at 7:00, despite the fact that the ticket and the website both say that it’s starting at 6:35. My Mom and little Sister decide to see Night at the Museum 2, while my Brother, Father (old-school Trekkie) and myself go to see Star Trek.

I went to get some Nachos and proceeded to wonder more about who was running the Theatre, the two kids manning the counter looked to be around 12 years old. I immediately regretted getting anything when I heard their Nacho-cheese-squirting machine turn on, it sounded like a lawn mower and nothing was coming out. They opened it and the bag of cold cheese was empty, so they replaced it with a nice full bag of warm Nacho cheese. Just kidding, they scrunched up the bag and squeezed what little amount of cheese left in the bag to the nozzle and turned the machine on. It came out in large drips, are you hungry yet? After all that, I found out that they didn’t have debit at the counter so I had to use cash to purchase my tray of cheese-covered sand.

So now we enter the Screening room and find that there is only one other group of six people and that’s it. Remember when I said that the website, ticket and chart all said different times? Yeah, turns out they were all wrong. I guess the little kid in the projection room was having trouble lifting the film reel onto their ancient projector considering that the movie started at 6:50.

The movie was great, I loved it, except for the parts where the other movie-goers insisted on adding super-hilarious additional lines to the characters during exciting sequences (including shouting “Weeeeeeeeeeee” when they were skydiving onto the drill), thus ruining the scenes for me.

After the movie we left as fast as we could, my Sister later told me that my Mom was talking during their movie, the end of the world has already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment