Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Speakers! They do Nothing!

So yeah, last night I had a spot of computer trouble.

I had just updated iTunes last night and restarted my trusty laptop and found that the start-up sound didn’t play. The login confirmation sound didn’t play, etc… I looked at the sound manager and drivers and it looked like everything was recognized correctly, so I was stumped. I later realized that I did get sound, but only in iTunes and Windows Media Player, odd to say the least. So I tried reinstalling the sound driver, didn’t do anything, mainly because HP didn’t provide the correct driver for my system (I have an HP tx2010 laptop) so that made things worse. I eventually did a system restore and everything was OK.

That was weird to say the least, but it also made sense considering what I had done on my computer earlier that day. I recently switched from Thunderbird to Postbox for viewing my Gmail account, but Postbox didn’t offer the functionality that allowed it to be minimized to the taskbar like Thunderbird (I used the MinimizeToTray add-on). I looked around the Intertubes for a solution, knowing that there are many applications that allow programs to minimize to the tray, picked one and installed it.

During the installation, it notified me that a certain component in the installation might be viewed as a Virus by the system, but it “TOTALLY WAS NOT!” Yup, they put that in Caps in the EULA. Anyways, it didn’t work and I uninstalled it.

My security system, Webroot Spysweeper, started it’s scheduled security sweep and saw a Trojan, this is uncommon. I had it remove it, I didn’t really care considering that it was probably one of the components from the program I uninstalled.

Long story short, I’m not sure if it was the Trojan or iTunes that qualified my Laptop’s sound for a run at the Gelding’s Plate, but if you’re reading this and you have that problem, just do a system restore, it’ll clear it right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment